Wyvern weathervanes are a perfect addition to the home. Also know as a griffen or dragon. This is the ideal present for someone that you know who wants to add that special something to their home. Perhaps even treat yourself.
Made of steel these black wyvern weathervanes will give years and years of enjoyment and service.
- Originated in Europe.
- Nearly always depicted as having two bird-like legs and two wings, sometimes with eagle's claws on the wingtips.
- Some had a serpent's head and the hind end of a serpent or lizard.
- Wyverns have been depicted in heraldry on shields, coats of arms and banners for hundreds of years, and are a symbol of strength and endurance.
- Name derived from the Saxon word Wivere, which means "serpent".
- Other variations include:
Wyvere [Middle English which means "viper"];
Wouive, Vouivre [names for the French Wyvern];
Old English form: Wyvre;
Old North French: Wivre.
- The French Wyvern is depicted with the head and upper body of a voluptuous woman. A ruby set between her eyes helps her find her way through the Underworld.
- Wyverns became vicious and sinister creatures of pure evil in Western culture..
- Delighted in killing young maidens, other wyverns and relishing the taste of human flesh
- Modern depictions of wyverns include:
- Fiery beady red eyes;
- Foul-smelling poisonous and corrupt breath;
- A razor sharp stinger filled with poison on the end of their tails.
- Came to symbolise envy, famine, war and hatred.
- This depiction of wyverns is associated with pestilence and viciousness.
How It Works
Both the arrow and the wyvern figure revolve on a ball bearing over a solid bushed stainless steel shaft. Well balanced and proportionally correct these Australian made weathervanes from Glenview Products actually work. The weathervane is powder-coated and like the early Ford motor vehicles, you can have any colour so long as it is black.
A stainless steel mounting plate is available for fixing to a flat surface such as the ridge line of a metal roof or a wooden garden post. Alternatively there is a steel gable bracket available for fixing to the apex of the gable (see Fixing Brackets). If you would like to order a fixing bracket to suit this product, please select from the product options above. Fixing brackets ordered with an Aussie Weathervane will not incur any additional delivery charges.